Region 17 ESC MDL provides professional development and consulting assistance to local educational agencies on their quest to improve educational opportunities for culturally and linguistically diverse students and to reduce their disproportionate representation in special education.
“All practice needs to be culturally responsive in order to be best practice.”
Moje and Hinchman
- Technical Assistance
- Assist LEAs disaggregate data:
- To identify focus areas for improvement;
- Prevent over-representation of student population groups in school education; and
- Reduce disproportionality of student groups in special education
- Consulting assistance and on-site visits
- Consultant Services
- Assist LEAs create System of Support (SOS) Teams that will disaggregate data and develop an action plan to:
- Review policies, practices and procedures used in general education, including student support interventions such as tutorials, remedial, compensatory, response to intervention (RTI) and other academic or behavior support services to reduce the number of inappropriate referrals of certain support groups in the special education program.
- Increase staff knowledge for teaching students from culturally & linguistically diverse backgrounds through specific professional development;
- Identify appropriate strategies and interventions for struggling learners before a referral for a special education program is made;
- Improve the quality of services provided to all students, particularly those students who have been traditionally underrepresented; and
- Improve the quality of campus student assistant team planning and evaluating intervention programs.
Resources and Links:
|Multicultural and Diverse Learners|
The MCDL Network is a decentralized network of the Texas Education Agency. Region One Education Service Center serves as the lead Statewide Multicultural and Diverse Learners (MCDL) agency.
|The National Center for Culturally Responsive Educational Systems|
NCCRESt is dedicated to close the achievement gap between diverse students and provides resources for culturally-responsive response to intervention.
|Self-Assessment Tools (MDL)|
This site provides tools to address issues related to special education placement issues.
The LPAC manual is available in PDF format.
|To Download Adobe Reader click here|